Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Mon July 16, 2012
Sen. Peterson says Louisiana health care "a joke"
State Sen. Karen Carter Peterson says Gov. Bobby Jindal's decision to refuse expansion of the state's Medicaid program under the recently upheld federal health care law is akin to him signing a death warrant for community hospitals.
Peterson, head of the Louisiana Democratic Party, spoke at the Press Club of Baton Rouge Monday on the Medicaid cuts and the governor's rejection of the federal health care overhaul in Louisiana. The state Department of Health and Hospitals said Friday it will have to cut $329 million from the public health care system run by LSU.
Peterson says Jindal has failed in his duty as governor by ignoring the significant improvements the law will bring to the state's uninsured citizens as he instead courts Mitt Romney's campaign trail and the Republican Party.