Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Thu December 12, 2013
Segregated Church Bathroom Torn Down
Originally published on Fri December 13, 2013 11:17 am
The parishioners of Our Lady of Peace in the small plantation town of Vacherie can’t wait to get into their church’s new bathroom building. But for some poorly placed air conditioners, they would have dedicated the building last month.
For decades, the old bathroom building behind the 113-year-old Catholic church stood like a monument to segregation. A few months back, some members of the community started talking about racism in the church and concluded that bathroom needed to come down.