Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Sun July 15, 2012
Season closes Monday for red snapper anglers
Monday is the last day this year for recreational anglers to catch red snapper.
The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries says the recreational red snapper season will close at 11:59 p.m. Monday — two minutes before the federal season closes.
State officials say they chose the earlier time for clarity and ease of enforcement.
Federal waters are scheduled to remain closed until June 1, 2013.
The Wildlife and Fisheries Commission voted in May to create a weekend-only red snapper season in state waters, starting March 23, 2013. Weekends would run Friday through Sunday, plus Memorial Day and Labor Day.
If it becomes official, each season would begin the day before Palm Sunday and end Sept. 30. Bag limits would be three fish a day, with a 16-inch minimum.