Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Wed September 12, 2012
Schools closed by Hurricane Isaac begin to reopen
Schools closed by the drenching rains and gusty winds of Hurricane Isaac are beginning to reopen.
Officials say nine schools within the St. John the Baptist Parish School District reopened Monday with at least a 92 percent student attendance rate. District-wide attendance increased to almost 95 percent by Tuesday.
Superintendent of Schools Herbert Smith said employees have been "working tirelessly" to ensure a quick return to schools.
Several more schools damaged by the storm will reopen next week with students being rerouted to other local schools or campuses while repairs continue at their home campuses.
Andre Perry Commentary