Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Short-Term Rental Stakeholders All Agree On One Thing: Current Law Inadequate
Wed September 26, 2012
School board members recommend Isaac repairs
Tangipahoa Parish School Board members have recommended $220,000 in repairs to school buildings damaged by Hurricane Isaac.
The Advocate reports Loranger High School's gym and the main building at Chesbrough Elementary in Kentwood both require new roofs, at projected costs of $145,000 and $74,000, respectively.
The repairs to Loranger High's gym roof will have to be approved by U.S. District Judge Ivan L.R. Lemelle, who oversees the parish's 47-year-old desegregation case. A standing order in the suit requires court approval for all non-priority repair costs over $125,000.
Chief Financial Officer Bret Schnadelbach said Tuesday the roofing projects will be paid out of the district's roofing fund, pending reimbursement by insurance or the Federal Emergency Management Agency.