Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Gulf Oil Spill
Sat May 15, 2010
Salazar Consulting With Government Experts on Oil Spill Plans
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Secretary Salazar is visiting various emergency response stations throughout the Gulf Coast, from wildlife rescue centers to the Coast Guard headquarters outside New Orleans. Salazar will be consulting with Energy Secretary Steven Chu and others Sunday afternoon.
"We'll have a summit of the scientists. It essentially will be Secretary Chu from the Department of Energy, my colleague, and a group of scientists that we have brought together to make sure that on the different work screens on the ultimate filling of the well, that nothing is being overlooked relative to the decisions that are being made"
BP is trying to funnel oil leaking from the ocean floor to a ship on the surface. It's also shooting chemicals directly on the oil to break it up under water, and placing booms around oil on the surface.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.