Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Thu July 17, 2014
Road Home Program Repayment Demands Still Unresolved
The Road Home program created after Hurricane Katrina is still causing paperwork headaches nine years after the storm.
The nearly $10 billion program was designed to help residents rebuild so they could return. But 32,000 people remain in legal limbo.
Last year the state sent almost 50,000 letters to homeowners demanding they repay some of their grants.
About 100 people attended a New Orleans City Council committee meeting this week, saying they are caught in a paperwork nightmare.
The state is requiring homeowners to prove the money they received was properly spent.
Many say they did comply — but the state repeatedly lost their paperwork. And they say the rules often change and are confusing.