Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Fri August 28, 2009
Reinventing the habitual ritual of neighborhood markets
New Orleans, LA – In 1995, marketumbrella.org reinvented tradition by inviting farmers and fishers back to the center of New Orleans to sell the fruits of their labors in a recurrent public setting. In the Katrina recovery years, the further proliferation of public markets has been among the authentic expressions of neighborhood resilience in a recovery that has put many residents' backs to the wall.