Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Wed April 16, 2014
Recovered Guns Become Art In New Orleans
Weapons will become raw materials for artists in a project getting underway in New Orleans.
City officials and artists gathered Wednesday at the Jonathan Ferrara Gallery to announce a project called "Guns in the Hands of Artists."
On the floor of the gallery were parts of 186 guns removed from the streets of New Orleans through the police department's gun buyback program.
Artist Skylar Fein said that in his eyes, the guns are already art.
"These are all items that have been designed and honed by professionals who’ve spent their whole lives doing it," Fein said. "These are artists. Gunsmiths are artists."
Art projects made from the guns will be on display beginning in October.
NOLA Life Stories