Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Fri May 11, 2012
The Real Price Of College
Originally published on Tue May 15, 2012 9:37 am
On today's show, we visit beautiful Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania.
Price of one year at Lafayette: $55,688. Up 63 percent from the price a decade ago.
At least, that's the sticker price — the price you get if you add up tuition, room and board, and all the fees listed on the school's website.
But there's a huge gap between the sticker price and what the average student actually pays after figuring in grants and scholarships.
That's true at private colleges around the country. Nationwide, the average sticker price is more than twice as high as the price students actually pay, and the gap is getting wider.
It turns out, it makes economic sense to have a high sticker price and offer lots of discounts. On the show today, we explain why.