This week on The Reading Life: Susan talks with Victor Harris, Rachel Breunlin, and JeffreyEhrenreich, creators of the beautiful book, “Fire in the Hole: The Spirit Work of Fi-Yi-Yi and the Mandingo Warriors.”
Here’s what’s on tap in the literary life this week:
- Emilie “Lee” Leumas, director of Archives and Records for the Archdiocese of New Orleans, discusses the history of the Ursulines Monday, May 21, at 7 p.m. at the East Bank Regional Library, 4747 W. Napoleon, Metairie.
- Laura Cayouette discusses and signs her new Charlotte Reade mystery, “The Haunted Heirloom,” Tuesday, May 24, at 6 p.m. at Garden District Book Shop, 2727 Prytania, New Orleans.
- Walter Stern discusses and signs “Race and Education in New Orleans: Creating the Segregated City, 1764-1960,” Thursday, May 24, at 6 p.m. at Octavia Books, 513 Octavia, New Orleans.
- Mark Oshiro appears in conversation with Daniel Jose Older, discussing his new young adult novel, “Anger is a Gift,” Friday, Mary 25, at 6 p.m. at Octavia Books.
- If you’re a Walker Percy fan, you want to see photographer Jared Ragland ‘s exhibit, called “Everything Is Going to Be All Right,” inspired by “The Moviegoer.” It’s on view at the Front, 4100 St. Claude Ave. until early June.
- One Book One New Orleans hosts its annual fundraiser, Juleps in June, June 1 at 6 p.m. at 1413 Philip St. to support One Book and Words and Music: A Literary Feast in New Orleans. For ticket info, go to onebookonenola.org; you can buy tickets at Eventbrite.
- Also getting close: June 1-3 is the annual Walker Percy Weekend in West Feliciana Parish, with an additional emphasis this year on the work of Shelby Foote. Check out walkerpercyweekend.org to buy tickets; the event is headquartered at Conundrum Books in St. Francisville.
- The Symphony Book Fair is coming up June 1-3 at the Lakefront Arena in New Orleans. Hours are 9-8 Friday-Saturday, June 1-2, and 9-4 Sunday, June 3. There is an admission fee for a first look, Friday from 9-3. This is the largest book fair in the South and includes art and music as well.