Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Fri December 20, 2013
A Proclamation To The Citizens Of New Orleans (1803)
210 years ago today, Governor William C.C. Claiborne issued this document to the people of New Orleans, announcing the United States' purchase of the Louisiana Territory two months earlier.
The proclamation — in three languages — explains the transition from Spain to France to the United States, and clarifies for the people of the city their new rights, and their responsibilities, as newly-minted Americans.
All Things New Orleans