Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Fri December 20, 2013
A Proclamation To The Citizens Of New Orleans (1803)
210 years ago today, Governor William C.C. Claiborne issued this document to the people of New Orleans, announcing the United States' purchase of the Louisiana Territory two months earlier.
The proclamation — in three languages — explains the transition from Spain to France to the United States, and clarifies for the people of the city their new rights, and their responsibilities, as newly-minted Americans.
All Things New Orleans