Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Gulf Oil Spill
Sun August 29, 2010
President Obama Pledges Recovery From Katrina And Oil Spill
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – President Obama says images will always remain of the government's failed response to the hurricane and levee breaks five years ago. He says it wasn't hard to image at that time that New Orleans would never survive.
"Instead this city has become a symbol of resilience and of community and of the fundamental responsibility that we have to one another."
He promises that federal funds will continue being earmarked for housing, health and education systems damaged in 2005. And he says his administration will ensure BP repairs and reimburses the Gulf Coast for damage caused by its oil spill.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.