Most Active Stories
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Barataria Bay, 4 Years After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
Wed May 16, 2012
Portugal Looks Back On 1 Year Since Its Bailout
Originally published on Wed May 16, 2012 5:47 am
In Portugal, austerity has meant up to a 30 percent pay cut for civil servants. Unemployment is at more than 15 percent, and the economy continues to shrink. The European Union recently warned the Portuguese people may have to sacrifice even more.