Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Elmer's Island Refuge
Wed February 20, 2013
Portions of Elmer's Island to Open
State wildlife and fisheries regulators have temporarily opened a section of beach along the Elmer's Island Refuge.
The open section will include the area at the end of the access road and continue about a half-mile to the east. Road access will open 30 minutes before sunrise and close 30 minutes after sunset seven days a week.
Officials said Tuesday that the temporary opening will be assessed after 10 days, and is subject to reconsideration.
Areas that will remain closed will be clearly marked.
The refuge was closed Aug. 26 in anticipation of Hurricane Isaac. It has remained closed because of road conditions and continual oiling events resulting from the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
BP Oil Spill