Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Wed December 26, 2012
Planet Money: Making Christmas More Joyful, And More Efficient
Originally published on Tue December 25, 2012 2:40 pm
This episode was originally released on December 21, 2010.
Gift-giving makes economists crazy. It's so inefficient!
So we wondered: Is there a way to make the holiday season both more efficient and more joyful?
On today's Planet Money, we try to answer that question by conducting a wildly unscientific experiment. We go into a seventh-grade classroom and give a bunch of kids some small gifts — candy, raisins, fig newtons.
Then we ask them how much they value what they got, and if they can think of a way to make everyone better off, without buying any more gifts. They quickly arrive at a solution: trade.
Behold, the power of economics!