Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Short-Term Rental Stakeholders All Agree On One Thing: Current Law Inadequate
Sun January 19, 2014
Panya The Elephant Celebrates 50 Years
Panya the elephant celebrated her 50th birthday at the Audubon Zoo last week, and scores of people came out to celebrate.
Panya, a 9,500-pound female Asian elephant, was presented with a birthday cake and presents, as well as a special AARP card. A gaggle of children in party hats serenaded her with toy horns, signed a giant birthday card, and shared in some cake of their own.
She was joined by 7,500-pound Jean, a 41-year-old female Asian elephant who has been Panya's sidekick at the zoo for over 30 years.
The elephants were shown in a temporary structure while their new habitat is under construction. Visitors can get a behind-the-scenes look by taking the Elephant Barn Tour.
Music Inside Out with Gwen Thompkins