Most Active Stories
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Barataria Bay, 4 Years After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
Sun January 19, 2014
Panya The Elephant Celebrates 50 Years
Panya the elephant celebrated her 50th birthday at the Audubon Zoo last week, and scores of people came out to celebrate.
Panya, a 9,500-pound female Asian elephant, was presented with a birthday cake and presents, as well as a special AARP card. A gaggle of children in party hats serenaded her with toy horns, signed a giant birthday card, and shared in some cake of their own.
She was joined by 7,500-pound Jean, a 41-year-old female Asian elephant who has been Panya's sidekick at the zoo for over 30 years.
The elephants were shown in a temporary structure while their new habitat is under construction. Visitors can get a behind-the-scenes look by taking the Elephant Barn Tour.
Music Inside Out with Gwen Thompkins