Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Tue June 3, 2014
Panel Reports Improvements In New Orleans Jail Fire Safety
A federal court-appointed panel is reporting progress in improving fire safety at a section of the New Orleans jail.
In a report filed at the court Monday, the panel said padlocks on some doors in a holding area known as "the docks" have been replaced with key locks installed in the doors. The padlocks were considered a fire safety hazard.
The report also said the fire sprinkler system at the docks is fully operational. And it outlined repairs and upgrades still in the works, including improvements to alarm and ventilation systems.
The panel was assembled as a federal court continues to oversee implementation of a plan to improve inmate safety and security at the jail.