Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Gulf Oil Spill
Wed December 8, 2010
Oil Spill Commission Co-Chairman Calls For Safety Improvements
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – William Reilly is advising the oil and gas industry to form an independent body to increase safety in offshore, deepwater drilling.
"Three of the leading players in the industry made a series of missteps, miscalculations and miscommunications that were breathtakingly inept and largely preventable."
He told an industry group meeting in New Orleans that Congress should increase funding for better inspection systems.
"The industry is not solely to blame. Government oversight failed us miserably"
Reilly says international standards should be adopted by the industry. The commission's final report with recommendations is due next month.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.