Most Active Stories
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Barataria Bay, 4 Years After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
Gulf Oil Spill
Wed December 8, 2010
Oil Spill Commission Co-Chairman Calls For Safety Improvements
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – William Reilly is advising the oil and gas industry to form an independent body to increase safety in offshore, deepwater drilling.
"Three of the leading players in the industry made a series of missteps, miscalculations and miscommunications that were breathtakingly inept and largely preventable."
He told an industry group meeting in New Orleans that Congress should increase funding for better inspection systems.
"The industry is not solely to blame. Government oversight failed us miserably"
Reilly says international standards should be adopted by the industry. The commission's final report with recommendations is due next month.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.