Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Gulf Oil Spill
Wed December 8, 2010
Oil Spill Commission Co-Chairman Calls For Safety Improvements
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – William Reilly is advising the oil and gas industry to form an independent body to increase safety in offshore, deepwater drilling.
"Three of the leading players in the industry made a series of missteps, miscalculations and miscommunications that were breathtakingly inept and largely preventable."
He told an industry group meeting in New Orleans that Congress should increase funding for better inspection systems.
"The industry is not solely to blame. Government oversight failed us miserably"
Reilly says international standards should be adopted by the industry. The commission's final report with recommendations is due next month.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.