Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Gulf Oil Spill
Fri April 13, 2012
Oil Sheen in Gulf Breaking Apart
The Shell oil company says an oil sheen it reported in the Gulf of Mexico is breaking up. Federal officials will continue searching for the source.
Shell says the 10-mile-long, mile-wide sheen appears to be dissipating. It’s in the area of two Shell platforms off the Louisiana coast, but the company says it didn’t come from its facilities. Federal agencies are using two remote controlled underwater vessels to check plugged wells for any leaks, as well as any seeps that naturally occur on the sea floor. Shell says the sheen amounts to about six barrels of oil. Surveillance will continue through Friday.