Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Gulf Oil Spill
Sat April 24, 2010
Oil Leaking From Underwater Well
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – The Coast Guard estimates about 1,000 barrels of oil a day is leaking from the well that's 5,000 feet below the surface. Spokesman Brad Etlin says authorities are looking at two options to contain it.
" One is to take action to repair the riser. Another option is to look at other sources of containing the well head."
BP contracted with platform operator Transocean of Houston to drill the well. BP is in charge of the clean-up. The Coast Guard said earlier that the cap on the well appeared to be holding. Oil has been spotted coming from a pipe that had connected the well to the platform. An oil slick on the surface is getting larger, and bad weather temporarily halted cleanup efforts.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming