Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Gulf Oil Spill
Fri February 18, 2011
Oil Industry, Senators Hoping Oil Containment System Leads To Drilling Permits
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – The industry funded the Marine Well Containment Company that's come up with a capping system it says can handle a major spill. It's similar to the system that ultimately stopped the BP spill last summer. The group also has a rapid-response plan for ships and equipment stationed in Louisiana and Texas. It's also working on an even bigger containment system. The Interior Department is under pressure from Louisiana's two Senators to start issuing deepwater drilling permits that have been stalled since the BP disaster. And a federal judge in New Orleans is pressing for a decision within a month on five pending deepwater permits.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.