Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed August 8, 2012
NOPD: DNA links rape in 2000, murder in 1992
New Orleans police say recently received DNA evidence links a rape in 2000 and a sexual assault and killing in 1992.
They got a description last week from the woman who was raped in 2000. A police artist used it for a computer-created composite, then sketched what the man may look like now. Police released the two drawings in hope that people can help them identify the man.
The killing was that of 20-year-old Jennifer Altemeier, who was strangled on March 3 — Mardi Gras — 1992.
In April 2000, a woman looking for her car was robbed and raped by a man who claimed to be French Quarter security. He let her go, and she reported the attack.
The department got the DNA analysis from Altemeier's case last month.