Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Sat April 10, 2010
Ninth Ward Fresh
New Orleans, LA –
Hi, this is Richard McCarthy with the WWNO Farmers Market Minute At the Thursday Market, young baker Graison Gill of Babcia Kubiak channels his Polish great-grandmother with breads that reflect her penchant for strange things. Babcia is Polish for grandmother and Kubiak was her name. Among the wave of 20 something innovators who has landed in New Orleans, Graison bakes his 9th Ward Fresh breads in Bywater. Among his new creations, he bakes spent grain acquired from Abita Beer. Talk about yeasty! It's the beer maker's equivalent of a Bourbonmaster's mash. If that's too much for you, this is a great time of year to opt for Graison's Pontchatoula strawberry scones. With a nod to tradition and a full embrace of innovation, our region's farmers markets keep on keepin' on. To find out more, log onto wwno dot org.
For the Farmers Market Minute, this is Richard McCarthy.