Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Sat July 21, 2012
Nicholls State, Southeastern lay off workers
Nicholls State University and the University of Southeastern Louisiana are laying off employees.
Louisiana State University, though, says it will cut its budget without firing employees.
The state's public colleges and universities are absorbing a fifth round of budget cuts since 2008. In the new budget, higher education was cut by $66 million, bringing total cuts since 2008 to $420 million.
Southeastern, in Hammond, says it will lay off 36 faculty and staff members and eliminate 80 vacant positions. The university says it's cutting $13 million overall.
Nicholls State, in Thibodaux, says it's laying off employees, but doesn't know how many yet, as part of an effort to fill a $5.3 million shortfall.
LSU officials will cut non-personnel expenses and the athletic department will chip in $5.5 million.