Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Tue September 4, 2012
News-Star sues education department for information
The News-Star newspaper in Monroe has sued the Louisiana Department of Education over a denied Freedom of Information request.
The News-Star reports that it took the legal action after the Education Department first ignored and then denied the request, claiming the governor's exemption of deliberative process.
The complaint was filed Friday. It gives only one side of the legal argument.
The newspaper said it submitted the request on June 4 for Department of Education employee e-mails about the process of approving schools to participate in the state's scholarship program.
The newspaper contends the agency is obligated to produce the public records.
School Voucher Program