Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Tue September 4, 2012
News-Star sues education department for information
The News-Star newspaper in Monroe has sued the Louisiana Department of Education over a denied Freedom of Information request.
The News-Star reports that it took the legal action after the Education Department first ignored and then denied the request, claiming the governor's exemption of deliberative process.
The complaint was filed Friday. It gives only one side of the legal argument.
The newspaper said it submitted the request on June 4 for Department of Education employee e-mails about the process of approving schools to participate in the state's scholarship program.
The newspaper contends the agency is obligated to produce the public records.
School Voucher Program