Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Sun November 17, 2013
Newcomer Trounces State Senator for Congressional Seat
Support from the bearded men of the popular reality TV show combined with a deep pool of personal wealth has helped vault Republican political newcomer Vance McAllister into Congress.
He'll represent Louisiana's 5th District.
McAllister crushed GOP state Sen. Neil Riser in a special runoff Saturday, winning the race by 20 percentage points.
A political unknown only three months ago, McAllister managed to distinguish himself among a pack of 14 candidates to get into the runoff — with little outside help, no prior name recognition and no heavyweight fundraising.
His entire candidacy caught political insiders by surprise.
McAllister ran as a political outsider, capitalizing on voter frustration with politicians and Congress. The backing of the "Duck Dynasty" family drew initial attention to his campaign.