Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Mon July 16, 2012
New tax in effect in Lincoln Parish
RUSTON — Lincoln Parish shoppers will find they are paying a little more at the checkout as a new quarter-cent sales tax to support the Sheriff's Office went into effect in July.
The Daily Leader reports (http://bit.ly/NkZ8Qw) Sheriff Mike Stone says revenue from the tax would pay for technology, continuation of services and to help offset a $100,000 deficit from the previous fiscal year.
Jerry Smith, the sheriff's chief civil deputy, says the sales tax affects all purchases and is in effect throughout Lincoln Parish.