Most Active Stories
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Battle Brewing In Holy Cross Over Proposed Highrises
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
Mon July 16, 2012
New tax in effect in Lincoln Parish
RUSTON — Lincoln Parish shoppers will find they are paying a little more at the checkout as a new quarter-cent sales tax to support the Sheriff's Office went into effect in July.
The Daily Leader reports (http://bit.ly/NkZ8Qw) Sheriff Mike Stone says revenue from the tax would pay for technology, continuation of services and to help offset a $100,000 deficit from the previous fiscal year.
Jerry Smith, the sheriff's chief civil deputy, says the sales tax affects all purchases and is in effect throughout Lincoln Parish.