Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Fri May 23, 2014
New State Law Bans Tanning Beds For Minors
Gov. Bobby Jindal has agreed to ban Louisiana's minors from using tanning beds.
The governor's office announced Friday that Jindal signed into law the bill by New Orleans Representative Helena Moreno, prohibiting anyone under the age of 18 from using tanning facilities.
Supporters say the prohibition will lower risks of skin cancer associated with exposure to ultraviolet radiation from sunlight or tanning lamps and beds. At least five other states have similar prohibitions.
Current law had allowed minors ages 14 to 18 to use tanning facilities if they had written permission from a parent.
The new law will require tanning salons to post signs noting the prohibition.
Science & Health