Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
New Orleans Mosquitoes
Tue June 12, 2012
New Orleans Steps Up Mosquito Fight
New Orleans officials say the city's Mosquito and Termite Control Board has detected higher numbers of mosquitoes in the city.
That includes the variety known as the Southern house mosquito, identified as a carrier of West Nile virus.
The city said Monday in a news release that the board has responded by using insecticides targeting mosquito larvae and adults. Also, adult mosquitoes are being treated by fog trucks and by airplane.
However, the city also is reminding residents to take steps to fight mosquito proliferation around their homes. Those steps include removing sources of standing water where mosquitoes breed, such as flower pots and pet water dishes.