Most Active Stories
- Le Show For Nov. 16, 2014
- Closest To The Original Source: Biodiverse Farms & Ayurvedic Cocktails
- Big Class Makes Big Impact On Kids' Writing
- A Different Pace Coming To Morning Edition And All Things Considered
- Easter Seals And Audubon Aquarium Providing Special Opportunity To Kids With Special Needs
Orleans Parish Prison
Sat March 2, 2013
New Orleans Seeks Rejection of Jail Reform Plan
The City of New Orleans is asking a federal court to reject a proposed reform plan for the Orleans Parish Prison — a plan that the city says it will have to pay for even though the Orleans Parish Sheriff runs the facility.
The U.S. Justice Department and Sheriff Marlin Gusman agreed to the plan in December. That upset city officials who said it will add to the city's financial burden under a separate reform plan for the New Orleans Police Department.
In the filing posted Friday, the city notes allegations of financial wrongdoing by Gusman employees and said the Sheriff's Office lacks fiscal accountability.
The city argues that it could be forced to cut services or raise taxes to fund reforms Gusman agreed to.