Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Orleans Parish Prison
Sat March 2, 2013
New Orleans Seeks Rejection of Jail Reform Plan
The City of New Orleans is asking a federal court to reject a proposed reform plan for the Orleans Parish Prison — a plan that the city says it will have to pay for even though the Orleans Parish Sheriff runs the facility.
The U.S. Justice Department and Sheriff Marlin Gusman agreed to the plan in December. That upset city officials who said it will add to the city's financial burden under a separate reform plan for the New Orleans Police Department.
In the filing posted Friday, the city notes allegations of financial wrongdoing by Gusman employees and said the Sheriff's Office lacks fiscal accountability.
The city argues that it could be forced to cut services or raise taxes to fund reforms Gusman agreed to.