Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
Thu May 30, 2013
New Orleans Police Find Body In Lake Pontchartrain
New Orleans Police have found a body in Lake Pontchartrain near the University of New Orleans campus.
Shortly before 11 a.m. Thursday authorities received reports that a body had been found in the water.
Witnesses told The Times-Picayune that the body was found floating face-up in the water and bystanders were crying as it was pulled out of the water.
Authorities have not identified the body to determine whether it is that of 21-year-old Ksanwy Chavez, who went missing Tuesday after trying to rescue a friend.
The U.S. Coast Guard deployed an MH-65 helicopter and a 29-foot search and rescue boat to look for him and searched most of Tuesday and Wednesday for the missing man.
Swimming in the lake is prohibited.