Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
New Orleans Libraries
Fri April 13, 2012
New Orleans Opens Four New Libraries
New Orleans is marking the opening of a fourth new library in as many weeks.
Mayor Mitch Landrieu, speaking at the opening of the New Orleans East Regional Library, says the facilities have grown to be more than just a book depository.
“Six years ago, the day before Katrina hit, it was a place where people came to read and to edify themselves. But immediately after Katrina hit, libraries became a refuge of hope for people all over the state of Louisiana. It became a place where the community could gather, where they could find information.”
Other new branches are now open in Gentilly, Broadmoor and Lakeview. The $25 million dollars in funding mostly comes from recovery money budgeted by FEMA, and from Housing and Urban Development block grants.