Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
WWNO News Features
Wed January 6, 2010
New Orleans High School Marching Bands to Play More Carnival Classics This Season
By Fred Kasten
New Orleans – January 6th - A.K.A. "Twelfth Night" - marks the annual start of Carnival season in New Orleans. The season runs through Mardi Gras - which this year falls on February 16th. When Carnival parades get rolling in a couple of weeks - you'll hear four area high school marching bands doing something that's become rare in recent years - perform Crescent City Carnival classics the likes of "Big Chief" - "Iko Iko" - "Hey Pocky Way" - "Mardi Gras Mambo" and "Do Whatcha Wanna." WWNO's Fred Kasten has the story of why that's going to happen...