Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
WWNO News Reports
Mon August 22, 2011
New Orleans Councilman Arnie Fielkow Resigns
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – Fielkow was in the Saints front office in 2005 when he clashed over plans to play all post-Katrina games in Texas instead of Louisiana. The Saints did return, but Fielkow didn't. After he was fired, he ran for office and won two terms. Now, he's leaving to be the Chief Executive Officer of the National Basketball Retired Players Association.
"The timing is a difficult thing. I mean, just leaving before the end of the four-year term is a difficult thing. I've served for six years, but anytime you leave before a term, I think, that's a difficult decision. And I wish, quite frankly that I could have aligned the timing with an opportunity with the timing of the council term. It just didn't work that way."
Fielkow has submitted a 13-hundred word letter of resignation. It takes effect October 1st. The council will appoint a temporary replacement. Fielkow had nearly three years left in his second four-year term.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming