Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Tue April 8, 2014
New Orleans Artist George Dureau Dead At 83
George Dureau is widely acclaimed as one of New Orleans' most significant artists in the latter part of the 20th century and early 21st. He died Monday after a several-year struggle with Alzheimer's Disease.
Dureau was 83, and internationally recognized for his classically-inspired, mythology-infused paintings — and his humane photographs of some often very odd (think dwarfs and multiple amputees) male figures.
Dureau spoke with artist Jacqueline Bishop in 2005 for her WWNO series "Louisiana Artist".