New Orleans officials have gotten a look at a new grocery store coming in Central City.
A celebration marked the final roof bracket being installed at the former Myrtle Banks School on Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard.
The first and second floors are being renovated to become the Jack and Jake’s Public Market. The third floor will have offices for non-profits and small businesses involving creative industries.
The building constructed in 1910 was originally the McDonogh 38 school. It closed in 2002 and then was damaged by a fire in 2008.
A $17 million renovation began with a mix of public and private dollars. The New Orleans Redevelopment Authority offered partially forgivable loans. The city’s Fresh Food Retailer Initiative contributed $1 million.
The store is scheduled to open this fall.