Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Wed September 12, 2012
National Guardsman killed in traffic accident
State police say a Louisiana National Guardsman from Shreveport was killed in a traffic accident in Natchitoches Parish.
The accident happened Tuesday afternoon on Interstate 49 five miles north of state Highway 6.
Troopers say Sgt. Kevin Dean Weiner was driving a Humvee northbound when it was struck from behind by an 18-wheeler. The 30-year-old Weiner was pronounced dead at the scene. His passenger, Sgt. John C. Fike of Bossier City, suffered moderate injuries in the accident.
Troopers say the Guardsmen were traveling home from Hammond, where they were on active duty, providing relief efforts to citizens affected by Hurricane Isaac.
The driver of the 18-wheeler, James Neil Saucier of Opelousas, was not injured.
The accident remains under investigation.