Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Wed September 12, 2012
National Guardsman killed in traffic accident
State police say a Louisiana National Guardsman from Shreveport was killed in a traffic accident in Natchitoches Parish.
The accident happened Tuesday afternoon on Interstate 49 five miles north of state Highway 6.
Troopers say Sgt. Kevin Dean Weiner was driving a Humvee northbound when it was struck from behind by an 18-wheeler. The 30-year-old Weiner was pronounced dead at the scene. His passenger, Sgt. John C. Fike of Bossier City, suffered moderate injuries in the accident.
Troopers say the Guardsmen were traveling home from Hammond, where they were on active duty, providing relief efforts to citizens affected by Hurricane Isaac.
The driver of the 18-wheeler, James Neil Saucier of Opelousas, was not injured.
The accident remains under investigation.