Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
Fri July 31, 2009
National Farmers Market Week
New Orleans, LA – August 1: National Farmers Market Week
Today kicks off National Farmers Market Week. Indeed, there's much to celebrate as numbers of markets have increased by 170 % over the past decade. In this growth, markets are also finding ways to share the fruits of their labor by piloting innovative food security programs where food stamp shoppers are rewarded for choosing fresh, healthy foods. In New Orleans, the Market Match program meets food stamp shoppers half-way. Spend $25 in food stamps and you'll be matched with $25 in market money. All this proving that farmers markets are good for everyone: the gourmet shopper and the family struggling to make ends meet. For more info, visit wwwno.org.
For WWNO, this is Richard McCarthy.