Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Fri July 31, 2009
National Farmers Market Week
New Orleans, LA – August 1: National Farmers Market Week
Today kicks off National Farmers Market Week. Indeed, there's much to celebrate as numbers of markets have increased by 170 % over the past decade. In this growth, markets are also finding ways to share the fruits of their labor by piloting innovative food security programs where food stamp shoppers are rewarded for choosing fresh, healthy foods. In New Orleans, the Market Match program meets food stamp shoppers half-way. Spend $25 in food stamps and you'll be matched with $25 in market money. All this proving that farmers markets are good for everyone: the gourmet shopper and the family struggling to make ends meet. For more info, visit wwwno.org.
For WWNO, this is Richard McCarthy.