Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Mon March 18, 2013
Napoleon's Ring To Josephine Up For Auction
Originally published on Mon March 18, 2013 11:38 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. When Napoleon Bonaparte proposed to Josephine, he gave her an engagement ring: a diamond and sapphire set side by side, both tear-shaped. Josephine shed many tears when her beloved annulled the marriage so he could produce an heir. Still, the story goes, on his death bed, Napoleon's last word was Josephine. Now that ring is up for auction, and, despite the romance, the French auction house is unimpressed, calling the ring a very ordinary one. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.