Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Mon March 18, 2013
Napoleon's Ring To Josephine Up For Auction
Originally published on Mon March 18, 2013 11:38 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. When Napoleon Bonaparte proposed to Josephine, he gave her an engagement ring: a diamond and sapphire set side by side, both tear-shaped. Josephine shed many tears when her beloved annulled the marriage so he could produce an heir. Still, the story goes, on his death bed, Napoleon's last word was Josephine. Now that ring is up for auction, and, despite the romance, the French auction house is unimpressed, calling the ring a very ordinary one. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.