Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Sat July 21, 2012
More criticism of ULL gay studies minor
Louisiana Family Forum President Gene Mills suggested Friday that the University of Louisiana at Lafayette is drifting "into sexual politics."
The school's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender studies minor, which began in the spring, drew the ire of the Louisiana Family Forum last week as going against "Louisiana values."
Mills' email says ULL President Joseph Savoie is "fooling with fire" by allowing homosexual activists to influence university decision making, The Advocate reports. He urges the program's elimination.
Republican Congressman Jeff Landry of New Iberia has criticized the minor for failing to provide academic benefits. University officials dispute that, saying it's an accepted study area at 200 universities and could help students prepare for careers.
Officials say the minor was created using existing classes and does not cost extra money.