Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
WWNO News Reports
Wed September 8, 2010
Michelle Obama Visits Region To Promote Fitness
Mrs. Obama visited the Brock Elementary School in Slidell, which is nationally recognized for excellence in nutrition. The first lady has been promoting the Let's Move initiative, which has so far focused on eating healthy foods. Now, she says, it's time to encourage more children to earn the President's Active Lifestyle Award. That means exercising five days a week for six weeks.
"I will be working to earn my Active Lifestyle Award, I'm gonna do it! And I want kids across the kids across the county to join me. Actually, I want all you all to join me. Don't leave it on the kids. I want you all to join me."
Already on board is fifth grader Malik LeBlanc of Pearl River. He'd been chosen to introduce the first lady.
"I'd like to say thank you for Michelle Obama for coming to our school, and I'd like to thank my mother for being such a great mom and cooking the right food and keeping me exercised."
Mrs. Obama then met with NFL officials in New Orleans to get professional sports involved in her program to end childhood obesity.