Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Sat December 15, 2012
Metairie Lawmaker's Resignation Effective Jan. 1
Jefferson Parish Rep. Tony Ligi has turned in his resignation letter, to take effect at the start of the new year.
Ligi, a Republican from Metairie, is leaving the state House because he is taking a new position as executive director and chief legal counsel for the Jefferson Business Council.
He told lawmakers Friday that his resignation will be effective Jan. 1, though he also told them he'll still be watching activities at the state Capitol.
House Speaker Chuck Kleckley hasn't yet set a date for a special election to fill the vacant House seat.
Jefferson Parish Housing Authority