Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Sat September 17, 2011
Mayor Landrieu Hosts Crime Action Summit
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – Mayor Landrieu organized a crime summit held at a university arena, resembling a revival meeting, complete with youth choir and shouts of "Amen." He's asking the public for help in cutting a murder rate that's 10 times the national average and five times that of other cities the same size. He mentioned one grim statistic linked to a city high school.
"From September of this year to February of this year, a student attending John McDonogh High School was more likely to be killed than an American soldier in Afghanistan."
Landrieu says murders in the city more often stem from arguments than drug deals. He's pushing business leaders to offer more jobs to teenagers, and volunteers to help children with conflict resolution.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.