Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
WWNO News Reports
Tue November 1, 2011
Mayor Landrieu Decries Halloween Shootings
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – The fatal shootings include one on Bourbon Street in the famed historic district and another on nearby Canal Street. Mayor Landrieu says the attacks involve armed youths arguing with each other.
"It really was not tourism centered, notwithstanding the fact that it happened where there were a number of tourists."
The Department of Justice says New Orleans' murder rate is 10 times the national average. Officials say they'll continue focusing on getting guns off the streets and asking the community to cooperate with law enforcement.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.