Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Mon August 29, 2011
Mayor Landrieu Applauds Hurricane Irene Preparations
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – Mayor Landrieu says he was closely watching the preparations and evacuations made ahead of Hurricane Irene. He says all hurricanes pose unique threats of flooding, power outages and wind damage. And vast areas are at risk.
"Miami. New York. All along the eastern border - if they would have gotten hit by a storm the size and the breadth of Katrina, the damage would have been if not as bad, even much, much worse."
He says local, state and federal agencies appeared to have emergency operations centers working well, and says no one should second-guess their preparations.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.