Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Fri January 11, 2013
Louisiana Tech Working to Welcome New Bulldog
It's been nearly six months since Louisiana Tech University's mascot Tech XX died, and university officials say Tech XXI should be named by this spring if everything goes according to plan.
Jim King, Tech's vice president of student affairs, tells The Times a major part of the delay is Tech's need to obtain a federal permit before owning another bulldog.
King says his office is working with the school's student government association, which owns the animal, to meet requirements of the federal Animal Welfare Act.
The university is seeking to replace Tech XX, a four-year-old English bulldog, which died in July of heatstroke after an animal clinic employee left him outside too long.