Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
WWNO News Reports
Fri November 18, 2011
Louis Armstrong Park Reopens
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – The park adjacent to the French Quarter includes Congo Square. It's in that corner where slaves gathered to perform music that many believe became American jazz. Mayor Mitch Landrieu singled out Haiti for its contributions to New Orleans culture, and pledged continued help in its earthquake recovery.
"We, probably more than anybody else in the country understand what they're going through and so we pay homage to them as well."
The park's Municipal Auditorium that was home to decades of Mardi Gras balls is still shuttered from Katrina damage.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.