Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Fri November 18, 2011
Louis Armstrong Park Reopens
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – The park adjacent to the French Quarter includes Congo Square. It's in that corner where slaves gathered to perform music that many believe became American jazz. Mayor Mitch Landrieu singled out Haiti for its contributions to New Orleans culture, and pledged continued help in its earthquake recovery.
"We, probably more than anybody else in the country understand what they're going through and so we pay homage to them as well."
The park's Municipal Auditorium that was home to decades of Mardi Gras balls is still shuttered from Katrina damage.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.