Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Short-Term Rental Stakeholders All Agree On One Thing: Current Law Inadequate
WWNO News Reports
Fri November 18, 2011
Louis Armstrong Park Reopens
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, LA – The park adjacent to the French Quarter includes Congo Square. It's in that corner where slaves gathered to perform music that many believe became American jazz. Mayor Mitch Landrieu singled out Haiti for its contributions to New Orleans culture, and pledged continued help in its earthquake recovery.
"We, probably more than anybody else in the country understand what they're going through and so we pay homage to them as well."
The park's Municipal Auditorium that was home to decades of Mardi Gras balls is still shuttered from Katrina damage.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.