Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Sun August 12, 2012
Lightning sparks wildfire on Sabine refuge
Lightning from a thunderstorm has sparked a wildfire in southwest Louisiana on the Sabine National Wildlife Refuge.
The blaze is located within Management Unit 1 or waterfowl hunt unit E, located in the north-central portion of the refuge. The area is bordered on the east by Back Ridge canal, the south by Central canal, the west by Beach canal and the north by open water.
Authorities say about 2,342 acres burned Wednesday through Friday in the southeastern part along Back Ridge. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Saturday that the fire has been contained and is not a threat to any facilities. Less than 50 acres remain on fire.
A crew of six federal firefighters is in place to monitor the fire throughout the weekend and into next week.