Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Mon August 13, 2012
A Lasting Legacy In Pomona, Calif.
Originally published on Tue August 14, 2012 11:33 am
Dr. Jamie Lynn Garcia was a tireless champion for the poor, devoting her life to healthcare for all.
In 2002, she founded the two-room Pomona Free Clinic. Her community needed more. She spent the next 10 years building and staffing an expanded clinic.
In 2010 she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She continued to work through her chemotherapy.
On July 9, 2012, her expanded Pomona Community Health Center opened, ready to serve thousands of homeless and uninsured residents. That same day, Jamie learned her cancer had spread. She died on July 27, leaving a lasting legacy of good works.